Ingredients (serves 4 )
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry, sliced in half
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, green tops removed and quartered
- 15 ml icing sugar for dusting
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 1 cup good quality custard
- Edible flowers, to serve
Optional: Add fresh slices of orange segments.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Toss the strawberry quarters in the lemon juice, and leave until it is serving time!
- Take the puff pastry from the fridge and cut immediately in half, before it softens.
- Place the sheets on a buttered baking pan. When the oven is ready, bake until golden brown and puffed. You can lightly push the pastry flatter with the palm of your hand.
- Spread the custard over the pastry and decorate with fresh strawberries, sparkle berries, edible flowers and dust with icing sugar.
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
For many weeks I have been searching for a quick and easy (not too sweet) dessert to put together when we are having friends over on short notice. This custard slice by Jamie Oliver, perfectly fitted the brief! Anything layered with the right combination of ingredients will create an explosion in the mouth, and with this custard slice the explosion is intensified with the crackling of puff pastry!
From the time I started to prepare the recipe till serving time, it took me just under 20 minutes. Because I shop seasonally, we always have fresh or frozen strawberries in the house during winter. If you do not have custard on hand, here is a truly divine custard recipe by Jamie himself! Note: make sure you have puff pastry in the freezer at all times! The pastry will be defrosted by the time everyone is ready for dessert, and this can be a fun activity with your visiting friends.
PS: ‘Marinating’ the strawberries with lemon juice not only preserves and intensifies their colour and flavour, but increases vitamin C intake!