Ingredients (makes 8 muffins)*
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup roasted pecan nuts, finely ground into a flour
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free), make your own in a high-speed blender with rolled oats!
- ½ -¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 125 ml milk (almond/ rice if lactose intolerant)
- 7.5 ml Olive oil
- 80 ml of coconut sugar
- 2.5 ml vanilla extract
- 7.5 ml apple cider vinegar
Optional: Diced strawberries mixed with 1 teaspoon oat flour
The Strawberry Glaze
1 cup of diced fresh strawberries
½ cup of water
100g plain (smooth) cream cheese
1/3 cup icing sugar (or stevia)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a muffin pan with 8x cupcake liners and spray with non-stick Spray & Cook.
- Add the water to the flax meal in a bowl, mix well and leave for 10 minutes. This is called “vegan flax egg”. It should form a gel-like consistency once ready to be used.
- Mix the pecan nut flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add the milk, oil, sugar, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar to the flax gel and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. At this point add the strawberries (mixed with the oat flour) to the muffin mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cup liners ¾ of the way full.
- Bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the glaze: bring the strawberries in the water to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the mix becomes syrup like. Blend in a processor until smooth. Add 45 ml strawberry puree to a bowl, add the icing sugar and cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the glaze over the nut muffins and serve!