- 250g fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 ml agar-agar or gelatin (if not vegetarian)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- To prepare the sauce: mix the strawberries, sugar and water in a pot. Cook for 3-5 minutes, turn off the heat and leave to cool down.
- To prepare the panna cotta: mix the cream, milk and gelatin in a pot and keep aside for 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and sugar and heat over a low flame, mixing constantly for 3-4 minutes or until the cream is warm. Turn off the heat, and filter the mixture through a fine-mesh into a clean bowl.
- Pour the cream mix into glasses, balanced skew on a muffin pan. Cover with cling film. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Blend the strawberry mix until a smooth sauce.
- Serve the sauce along with the panna cotta.
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
Panna cotta literally means ‘cooked cream’. This Italian dessert can be served in many different ways, of which the moulded-version are the best known. Here I did a panna cotta in a glass with a velvety strawberry sauce. I also used the strawberry leaves to give it a slightly earthy after taste. Enjoy!