- 1 store-bought puff-pastry roll
- 15ml butter, melted
- 200ml fresh cream whisked until stiff peaks form
- 45ml plain cream cheese
- 125ml strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
- 30ml fresh mint, cut into thin slivers
- 10ml lemon zest
- Prepare a baking tray with wax paper, butter the paper and lay the puff-pastry out on the wax paper, and butter the pastry on top.
- Bake the pastry in the oven on 180 C until crispy and golden brown. Remove the pastry from the oven, and carefully roll it into a roll while still hot and soft. Leave to cool.
- Mix the cream cheese, clotted cream, strawberries, mint and lemon zest together. Open the pasty roll, once cooled, and spread the cream mixture over the inside of the pastry. Carefully roll it up and decorate with strawberries.
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
Having studied ‘Food & Nutrition” in the ’90s, exposed me to some of the finer styles in baking, influenced by the patisserie Masters in Europe. I learned about making croquembouche to danish pastries to the Italian pastry Sfogliatelle. The one thing I always avoided like the pest, was making a Swiss roll. I could just not get the hang, or the roll, of it.
With spring just around the corner, having a Sunday afternoon sweet-treat with tea time makes my family very happy.
That is how this easier puff-pastry roll was born! Strawberries, mint and lemon zest are the perfect combination of ingredients to mark this as a spring treat in our home! Hope it will give you lots of motivation to make an easy sweet roll for tea time.