1 Kg rolled oats
1 Cup sunflower seeds
1 Cup coconut shavings
1 Cup nuts of choice (I used pecans)
½ Cup pumpkin seeds
1 Cup dehydrated strawberries
1 Cup raisins
½ Cup butter
½ Cup brown sugar
15 ml Vanilla essence
1 Cup buttermilk
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a small pot. Heat slowly to melt. Mix with a whisk until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the Buttermilk, mix well until well incorporated.
- Place the oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts and coconut shavings in a flat oven pan. Pour the butter & sugar sauce over the raw muesli, mix well together. At one stage it will look as if there is not enough sauce, but keep mixing, it will be enough. Spread the muesli evenly over the flat oven pan.
- Heat your oven to 100 C. Toast the muesli and make sure to toss the muesli over every 30 minutes until the coconut shavings is golden brown and the oats feels crispy. Takes about 3-4 hours, depending on your oven.
- Once the muesli is toasted and crisp, remove from the oven. Add the raisins and dehydrated strawberries.
- The muesli must be stored in airtight containers.
Comment recipe # 85
This is my well-tested muesli recipe I have been making over the last 15 years. The buttermilk makes the oats more digestible, and the butter gives this cereal a rich flavour. Serving this muesli with fresh and juicy strawberries will complement the slightly chewy dehydrated strawberries and raisins.