(yields about 1 ½ cup)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
- 2-4 chicken breasts (grilled with lemon juice & Cape Malay curry, salt & pepper)
- Blend the strawberries and all the other ingredients (except the chicken breasts!) in a blender until smooth.
- Marinate the chicken breasts in lemon juice, cape Malay curry and salt & ground black pepper, grill and serve with the strawberry BBQ sauce!
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
Tangy in the culinary world basically means where a savoury ingredient meets a sweet ingredient and it does its’ magical dance! Serving this tangy BBQ sauce with a lemon-curry chicken breast will definitely transform an ordinary lunch into an exquisite sit-down meal. This sauce can be used as a drizzle over a savoury pancake, a marinade for fish or as a dip mixed into cream cheese. I have doubled this recipe and now have two bottles in my fridge on standby to give any dish a tangy strawberry-zing when needed…. Which is almost always!