(yields about 1 ½ cup)
- 1kg fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- ½ – 1 cup of filtered water
- ¼ – ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the whole-strawberries in a pot.
- Add the sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes until a bright red syrup-like liquid has formed.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh into a glass bottle without breaking the fruit.
- Serve over ice with sparkling water and fresh blueberries or lemon slices.
Note: you can use the strawberry pulp as a jam or a sauce!
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
The juicy red perfectly satisfying simple sweet smell and colour of a strawberry has never been more justified by a recipe, such as this ‘Strawberry cordial’!
Treat your friends and family with a homemade strawberry cordial they have probably never tasted before. You can also use this recipe to make any berry cordial, such as blueberry, raspberry or blackberry cordials, but these are well known.
Only use fresh strawberries, as frozen ones may deliver too much water, diluting the intense flavour of the strawberries. One may cook large amounts during strawberry season and due to the lemon in this recipe, it can keep up to 3 or 4 months in the fridge.