- 50g Farm butter
- 300g Mini marshmallows
- 200g Strawberry flavoured rice crispies
- 1x pack (8g) freeze-dried strawberries
- Prepare a square dish, about 5cm high with baking paper, spray the baking paper with a non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter in a big enough pot.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until melted with a smooth texture.
- Add rice crispies and mix well.
- Transfer the rice crispy mix to prepared dish, carefully press it flat, until the mix fills the whole dish.
- Break the freeze-dried strawberries into smaller pieces, and sprinkle it over the top. Place in the fridge until set. Cut into preferred sizes.
Optional: Melt white chocolate and drizzle over the last layer of freeze-dried strawberries.
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
This is a sweet childhood memory like no other for me! We used to make it with plain rice crispies, but this version with the extra strawberry flavour is such a treat!
The freeze-dried strawberries worked very well as a topping, making it an interesting point of discussion with family and friends. Freeze-dried strawberries are flash-frozen at their optimal ripeness and then their moisture is removed via freeze-drying. While fresh fruit is the ideal choice, freeze-dried fruits are the next best choice in terms of nutrition. These fruits are harvested while in-season and immediately flash-frozen, providing in-season nutrition!