- 350g fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced into any shape you prefer
- ½ cup fresh spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup Black pepper feta, cut into small blocks
- 15 ml Lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 12-16 rice paper rounds
- 30-45 ml Coconut oil, for frying
- To prepare the filling: mix the strawberries, spring onions, feta, lemon zest and salt in a bowl.
- To prepare the rice paper: boil water and pour into a frying pan. Take a rice paper round and lightly dip it into the water to become wet all over. Place it down onto a clean cutting board to become soft. Continue with the next round when the first one has been filled and rolled.
- Place three large spoons of the filling on one side of the rice paper round. Fold the top, then the sides in and roll carefully
- Melt the coconut oil in a shallow pan, then fry the capers until crispy.
- Serve the spring rolls as a starter or as a side dish!
Marelie’s comments about this recipe:
Even though we as a family adore food, I often do a dish which the three men in my life will just right out criticize. So, I was wondering what they would say about these strawberry rice rolls because of its “wrong” filling. Again, the royal strawberry proved to make any “weird” food idea work! I served it as a starter for our Saturday braai, and my husband said we could just as well have left the braai, and had strawberry-feta spring rolls for dinner! Have a try and play around with interesting combinations such as a balsamic reduction etc.